Florida has some of the highest pedestrian accident rates in the country. Florida also has laws designed to protect pedestrians. The injuries that a victim of a pedestrian accident can sustain can be catastrophic or even fatal. Common injuries pedestrian accident victims can face include:
- Broken bones
- Torn Ligaments
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents:
Pedestrian accidents occur for a number of reasons. Some of these reasons include:
- Drivers failing to yield
- Reckless drivers
- Drivers under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
- Distracted drivers
- Pedestrians in driver's blind spot
Sometimes, the accident is the fault of the pedestrian. Pedestrians can cause a Sarasota pedestrian accident by:
- Ignoring traffic signs or signals
- Walking while intoxicated
- Crossing street outside of the crosswalk
- Failure to use the available sidewalk
- Walking along with a high speed, high traffic roadway
Why Does Florida Have So Many Pedestrian Accidents?
There are several reasons why Florida has such a high number of pedestrian accidents. Following are some of the most common reasons:
Weather: Floridians and tourists enjoy our warm weather and spend a great deal of time outdoors.
Tourism: Florida has over 80 million visitors a year.
Population: Florida has had a huge population growth and has developed faster than any other state.
High speed, high traffic roads: many of Florida's roads were built for heavy volume, high-speed traffic and they were not built with pedestrian safety in mind.
Lack of sidewalks in heavily populated areas.
Here are some tips for Florida pedestrians to help them avoid pedestrian accidents:
- Cross at a corner and use traffic signals when available.
- Always look left, right and then left again before crossing a street.
- Make eye contact with drivers.
- Carry a flashlight when walking at night.
- Wear bright reflective clothing at night.
- Avoid parking lots.
- Avoid alcohol or drugs as they can hinder your ability to walk safely.
- Do not text or talk on your cell phone while crossing the street.
- Always supervise small children when they are crossing the street.
Sarasota and Bradenton Pedestrian Accident Attorneys:
If you have sustained injuries in a Sarasota or Bradenton pedestrian accident due to a negligent driver, please contact Michael L. Morgan Law Group, P.A., at (941) 218-8220. We will work to obtain the best possible compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, future loss of income and pain and suffering. We work on a contingency fee basis, so there is no cost to you if we don't recover on your behalf. Please call us to schedule a free consultation.