Florida's lakes, rivers, gulf and ocean offer an abundance of opportunities for water-related activities. Unfortunately, along with these activities comes a risk of serious boating accidents. Most of these accidents are caused by negligent operators.
Michael L. Morgan Law Group in Sarasota is dedicated to helping victims of boating accidents recover compensation for their losses. Contact us online or call (941) 218-8220 to talk to a lawyer about your accident. We handle cases involving all types of watercraft, including:
- Small-boat accidents
- Powerboat accidents
- Personal watercraft accidents (Jet Skis and WaveRunners)
- Sailboat accidents
- Cruise ship accidents
Due to the high number of boat accidents in the state, Florida has some rather complicated regulations regarding the operation of boats and other vessels. Our boating laws are the result of many years of legislation and revision by the Florida Legislature and can be found in Chapters 327 and 328 of the Florida statutes. We understand the law and can assert your rights for compensation if you have been harmed by the negligence of another boater.
Many factors can lead to boating accidents, including:
- Alcohol or drug use: The state commission has found that nearly one-third of fatal boating accidents involved drug or alcohol use. Separate laws regulate boat accidents involving the consumption of alcohol.
- Rough seas or bad weather: Severe thunderstorms, common to Florida, can cause water conditions to deteriorate rapidly, causing dangers for boaters.
- Inexperienced boat operators: A boating safety course can teach tips and procedures for avoiding accidents. Many boat crashes are caused by individuals with insufficient experience operating a boat.
- Carelessness or recklessness: Be aware of the activities of everyone onboard, not just the driver of the boat, and make sure that there are flotation devices for all passengers. Also, regular maintenance is important to make sure all components are in working order.
- Excessive speed: Speeding on the water can be just as dangerous as speeding on the road. Speeding can lead to loss of control of the boat, causing collisions with other objects and damage to the boat. A speeding boat is exhilarating, but particularly dangerous, as there are no brakes on a boat.
Attorney Michael L. Morgan is an experienced boater who is familiar with Sarasota waterways. He has handled numerous injury claims for all type of cases arising from injuries suffered as the result of someone else's negligence. He has also recovered more than $25 million in verdicts and settlements for his clients.
If you or a loved one was injured in a boat accident through no fault of your own, you have a claim that should be protected by proper legal representation. Call (941) 218-8220 or complete our contact form to schedule an appointment for a free consultation before you speak to the insurance company. Our main office is in downtown Sarasota, at 2364 Fruitville Road, between Lime and Shade avenues.