A recent study from the University of California and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association has found that bicycle accident injuries have increased drastically in the last fifteen years. There is some positive news, however, regarding children and bicycle accident injuries. Injuries to children from bicycle accidents have decreased. The average age of an injured bicyclist has increased and males over 45 have had the highest increase in bicycle accident rates.
According to the study, in 2012-2013, there were 15, 427 hospital admissions for bicycle accident injuries. Florida tops the list with one of the worst records regarding bicyclists' safety. Florida has the highest bicycle accident fatality rate in the country. Florida's roads were built for high-speed fast moving traffic. On many roads, bicycle lanes do not exist. Some cities in Florida are beginning to implement safety features on streets that will make them safer for cyclists. Since 2001, Florida has been ranked as the state with the highest number of bicycle accident fatalities. Florida accounts for one out of every six bicycle accident fatalities in the country. Most Florida bicycle accidents occur in urban areas, a majority of bicycle accidents occur between 5-9 pm and males are far more likely to be killed in a Florida bicycle accident than females. A serious Florida bicycle accident can occur from a wide variety of causes. Many times, motorists fail to yield the right of way to bicyclists. Bicyclists have the same rights to the road as drivers.
The Importance of Helmets:
The most important piece of equipment for a cyclist is a helmet, especially for young children. Helmets help prevent traumatic brain injuries and head injuries. According to Safe Kids USA, 75% of bicycle accident fatalities among children could be prevented with the use of helmets.
Bicycle helmets can reduce the risk of head injuries by up to 85% and the risk of traumatic brain injury by 88%.
Use of helmets by children ages 4 to 15 could prevent between 39,000 and 45,000 head injuries and between 18,000 and 55,000 face and scalp injuries every year.
The Michael L. Morgan Law Group represents bicyclists throughout the state of Florida from Jacksonville to Naples. We are committed to helping injured bicyclists and we have a great deal of experience with bicycle law. Our website contains much helpful information regarding your rights in the legal system. We also offer information about bicycle accident safety, defective bicycles or components, and unsafe road conditions.
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, remaining calm and following these simple steps may help:
- Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else has been injured.
- Request that you have an ambulance take you to the hospital
- Always make sure to report the accident to the police and have an officer fill out a police report no matter who caused the accident
- Be sure to gather as much information as possible on the other driver, including name, address, phone number, license number, type and make of vehicle, insurance agent, policy and company
- If there are witnesses to the accident, take down their names and phone numbers
- Consult with an attorney before making any statements and be mindful of what you say
- Contact an experienced Florida bicycle accident attorney who will give you advice on how to protect your rights under Florida law
- Take photographs of the accident scene and the damage especially if the accident occurred on private property
- Always remain calm
Contact an experienced bicycle accident attorney at Michael L. Morgan Law Group, P.A., at (941) 218-8220 and we will immediately begin to protect your rights. Please call our office today if you have been injured in a Sarasota or Bradenton bicycle accident.