How Do I Pay For Medical Care?

The most important thing you can do after an accident is to obtain needed medical care and follow your doctor's treatment plan. This is important not only to recover your health, but also to document your injuries for your personal injury case.

In Florida, you have personal injury protection (PIP) coverage as a part of your no-fault insurance. This coverage provides up to $10,000 for medical care regardless of who was at fault. If you have expenses beyond what PIP will pay for, you can use your personal health insurance or group coverage from your employer. If you are eligible for Medicare or Medicaid, you can use your coverage to pay bills.

Florida PIP pays 80 percent of your medical expenses as long as you obtain treatment within 14 days of the accident. Follow-up care is also covered.

What If The Accident Was Someone Else's Fault?

You would still use PIP for the first $10,000 in medical expenses. If you have suffered a serious injury, you may have the option of filing a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver's insurance company for medical expenses beyond what is covered by PIP, as well as for lost wages and pain and suffering.

The insurance company of the other driver will not pay for medical expenses as you incur them. Instead, it will write a single check for all damages when your case is resolved by settlement or jury verdict. If your medical insurance company pays your bills, it will expect reimbursement from the other driver's insurance when your claim is resolved. An experienced lawyer can negotiate with the insurance company that paid your bills so you can keep as much of your personal injury award as possible.

At Michael L. Morgan Law Group in Sarasota, we offer a free initial consultation to answer your questions about medical care after an accident. Call 941-444-1028 to schedule a consultation with attorney Michael L. Morgan. Our law office is in downtown Sarasota, at 2364 Fruitville Road (between Lime and Shade avenues).

Learn more:

Five mistakes to avoid if you have been injured